Saturday, November 6, 2010

Therapy History

I have decided to go back to therapy. Which brings to mind the different therapists I have met over the years.


Therapist #1: Family Friend
Round and round and round and round in circles. That is all I really remember about her. We never got anywhere! She thought I was screwed up and let me know. I thought she was incompetent but I didn't go ahead and tell her that. After a few weeks my husband begged me to please stop going to her as I was coming home more depressed then when I left.


Therapist #2: Holistic Healer
One of those therapists that work by balancing and aligning the body's natural energy.  
Her: Close your eyes and imagine giving your mother flowers.
Me: (thinking what on earth have I gotten myself into.) I wouldn't do that in real life why should I do it in my imagination?
Her: I need to feel your energy levels while you do this.
Me Ok......so what do u see?
Her: This is not working let us try something else.
I lie down she gives me a massage on special energy points in my body. (Now this is great but I wonder how this is helping) Meanwhile she is instructing me what I'm supposed to be thinking about and I'm desperately trying hard not to fall asleep and start snoring. After 10 sessions she told me I was 50% less depressed. I felt like one of those Sims characters with those green bubbles over my head showing 50% healed.


Therapist #3: Telatherapy
Really great to be able to do therapy while lying on your bed in pyjamas. But if you're like me and happen to very depressed one Sunday morning. Your therapist who can't see you but can only judge by the tone of your voice and thinks you could be suicidal hatzolah could be knocking on your door with only 5 min's notice. To be fair I was feeling horrible and in hindsight I did thank him for probably saving my life but at the time I was fuming mad at him! There was the hatzolah guys threatening to bang my door down if I wouldn't open it and there I was standing on the other side looking like a wreck since I had been throwing up all morning still in my pyjamas! And then they wouldn't leave until my sister who had come over begged them to go.


Therapist #4: Sign reader
She read into everything I did if I twitched it was sign if I moved my leg another sign. One week I left my rings at home and oh my gosh that was a big sign! We spent the whole session discussing what it might signify about my marriage. Even after I repeatedly told her I was always misplacing my stuff. My husband who is always running around the house to find them (something that drives him nuts) happened to not be home before I left.


Therapist #5:
For some reason I couldn't talk with him still not sure of the reason for that. This was a typical conversation with him.
Him: So what are you thinking about?
Me: I don't know
Him: How can you not know whats going on in your own mind.
Me: I don't know??
silence.........
When I told him that I taught High school for a year I think he almost fell of his chair in shock. He could not imagine this mute person sitting across from him giving a lesson to a group of 16 year olds. It did improve minutely over the weeks.But although we did'nt do much talking his support through the last few weeks of my pregnancy helped keep my sanity.


I have decided that finding a good therapist is like buying a pair of shoes you need to find one that is comfortable and fits well. And then the hard work begins......

1 comment:

  1. Enough with the therapists....time to turn to real friends, the only true healers.

    Good post. funny. :)

    ReplyDelete