Thursday, November 18, 2010

The First Shabbat

As the week ends and Shabbat approaches I find myself thinking of an inspiring story my husband shared with me. The story of his first Shabbat.

My husband was raised in a non religious home. Attended a non religious school. He believed in God but practised little of the Torah's laws. As he approached his 13th Birthday in honour of his Bar Mitzva he decided to accept upon himself one Mitzva. He would no longer eat Non Kosher meat.

The first giant step on the journey to becoming the man he is today.

As a young teenager he travelled to Israel with is father. There he witnessed the joy of the religious people celebrating Shabbat and his soul yearned to be a part of it.

Back home he went to speak to the Rabbi at his school. He expressed his concern on losing the money he earned by working in his father shop on Shabbat. The Rabbi told him if he observed Shabbat God would find a way to give him the money elsewhere. Sure enough that very same week his father decided to keep the shop open late on Thursday nights. During those two hours he received  the same pay as working an entire day on Saturday.

His first Shabbat. A quiet day spent in his bedroom alone. He worried by leaving his room he might accidentally do something that was not allowed. For 24 hours he read and slept. He did not know any of the laws all he knew was that he wanted to keep Shabbat. No family meal, no wine, no challah, but a day he will always remember.  

As I rush around preparing for Shabbat I look at my husband. I think of him as a little boy, how much he has given up, I know how special this day is to him. I see how far he has come and gain a new appreciation for this holy day.

2 comments:

  1. You are lucky to have such a wonderful husband to love and share life with. Youhave been through much pain. The time for reaping the rewards you deserve are upon you now! Enjoy your husband, your child and your special closeness to Hashem!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! A moving story.

    ReplyDelete